Can a towing company refuse to give you back your car if you don't pay their fees in NJ?

Paterson, NJ |

My car was towed not by the police but by a private towing company. I am refusing to pay their high fees. Can they refuse to give me back my car and the personal property in it?

yes

What can I do?

Unfortunately, yes they can. Perhaps you can negotiate a payment plan.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Assuming a vehicle is lawfully towed, then yes, the towing company can retain possession if the car's owner refuses to pay.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or adam@LefkowitzLawOffice.com. If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on avvo.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Traffic tickets topics