Can a towing company refuse to give you back your car if you don't pay their fees in NJ?

Paterson, NJ |

My car was towed not by the police but by a private towing company. I am refusing to pay their high fees. Can they refuse to give me back my car and the personal property in it?

What can I do?

Unfortunately, yes they can. Perhaps you can negotiate a payment plan.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Assuming a vehicle is lawfully towed, then yes, the towing company can retain possession if the car's owner refuses to pay.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets