Can a tow company effect my driver's license in anyway if I'm the title holder and don't pay their fees here in NY?

Asked about 1 year ago - Yonkers, NY

My car got towed for red light violations & I paid the tickets & got the release to take to the tow company. They're asking for $800 but I only have $400 & I feel I have leverage because the car is not worth more than $500 if that even & the car is registered under my dad's name who signed over title to me when he moved out the country. The tow guy said he can effect my license if he doesn't collect fees for me leaving my car there. Is that true?

1. Michael J. Ireland

1

Best Answer

Answered . Tow truck drivers say LOTS of things, but this does not "sound" right to me.

I can't say FOR SURE (it's been awhile since I practiced in NYC), but tow companies usually only have recourse to the vehicle (i.e., they can sell the car, but that's the limit of their income).

HOWEVER, I stongly encourage you to meet with a local, competent attorney before you walk away from the vehicle. I would hate to find out some obscure rule allows them to come after the registered owner for a shortfall.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . I've never heard that before. I doubt it's true.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . There are a number of things that can result in the termination of your drivers license but I think the only remedy the towing company has is to auction off the vehicle. However, these laws change all the time and you should be very careful.