Can a third party debt collector, collect interest on an assigned medical debt they do not legally own?

San Ramon, CA |

I was told by the debt collector, state law allows them to add interest to the original amount. I am confused, because the debt collector is not the legal owner, and the O/C denies ownership of such account in question.

Their debt validation response letter reads... The original creditor above has assigned your acct to this off for collection. As you have requested, and in accordance with FED/State law, enclosed is validation of the above referenced debt. Any info reported to any CR agencies is accurately reporting. I DO NOT AGREE, the computer generated "special statement" validates one acct. No validation on the other acct was provided. My 1st DEL. occurred as of the day of service.

They request I telephone their office within 10 days to pay the debt. Since they proved it.

Debt collectors may be able to collect interest. Before you do anytthing else, you should speak with a consumer attorney in your area. You may even have calims against the collector under the FDCPA.

Do you believe something is wrong? The debt collector does not bother to contact me at all. I received a d/v because I requested it,and I disputed with the credit bureaus. They even agreed to have 1 of the debts removed from T/U. The letter I received list two debts. One which remains to be validated. Let me know if you like to look into this matter for me.

Tregg Robert Lunn

Tregg Robert Lunn

I am not licensed to practice law in CA. Your questions are complex enough that youy need to find a consumer attorney in your area. Just use the Find Attorney" function and search for FDCPA lawyers in you area.

Debt collectors are notorious for their tactics. It is probably an attempt for you to call them to talk about the debt.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456 www.mataelelaw.com

Thank-you

I would respond back in writing stating the the validation failed to validate all accounts but yes interest can continue to be added to the balance owed.

I am not YOUR lawyer. Don't rely on answers to questions as legal advice. For legal advice contact a Bankruptcy Attorney for a consultation. Tokarska Law Center is a Federal Debt Relief Agency representing individuals and businesses in filing for bankrutpcy protection under the U.S. Bankrutpcy Code. Kathryn U. Tokarska is a San Diego Bankruptcy Attorney, owner of Tokarska Law Center, 185 West F Street #100, San Diego, CA 92101, (619) 285-1992 www.sdbankrupt.com

Thank-you