Can a tenent be evicted for no reason?

Buffalo, NY |

i have been on time with my rent for the entire time lived here-3 years, and i had a verbal agreement with the landlord regarding me having my cats live there-they are neutered/spayed and aren't a problem; the only one that arose i ws ready and willing with a solution, and he appeared satisfied at the time. now he is evicting me, stating to me that he "is pacifying the tenant upstairs", who moved in two months ago.

A landlord can file a holdover proceeding after the expiration of a lease. Payment of rent is not a solution.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Dear can a tenant be evicted for no reason?

Unless the tenant is rent regulated, New York law does not require that the landlord have a reason for a decision to evict either at the end of a lease, or for a termination of a month to month tenancy. A tenant may defend against a termination of a month to month tenancy on a claim that the eviction proceeding is in the nature of a retaliation against the tenant for making complaints about the building or repairs, if the tenant could prove making those complaints within a six month-window before the landlord served the termination of tenancy notice.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant