Can a tenant sue Landlord

Asked over 4 years ago - Canada, KY

Tenant moved in at the first of the month and by the 4th day we had to give him a month notice to move out. He was givin a contract and he sighned it and on the contract we attached that we are giving him notice. He then in return is trying to sue us for injuries to his back on the day that he moved out and he also went to the Landlord and Tenant board and is trying to get back his money for the time it has taken him to find a place and car rental etc. Is this possible can he sue us for injuries to his back and can he try to get back his money for all his expenses? On the day that he moved out l was at home and l did not see him hurt himself at anytime.

1. Brian C Freeman

Pro

Answered . Your tenant could file a lawsuit aganist you if in fact he was injured due to your negligence. It would make no difference if he was moving out on the same day that he was injured. I am not sure what the applicable landlord/tenant law is in your state. You would need to consult with a local attorney to find out what your rights are as a landlord.
    I think that you need to put your insurance carrier on notice that the tenant is claiming that he was injured on your property.