Can a tenant send other residents of the property news that she is suing the LL and not be a nuisance?

Asked 4 months ago - Sacramento, CA

My friend (seriously, not me) sent letters to fellow tenants informing them of a lawsuit she filed against the landlord for some serious habitability issues (after over a year of complaints, etc.). Half the residents threatened to sue HER and/or turn her in to the property manager as a nuisance if she continued to send them anything. She thought she had to send them notice that the landlords were being sued, so is worried about this new development. Can they sue her for that AND is she considered a nuisance under California law for trying to inform her immediate neighbors? Can she be evicted for this? Thanks in advance.

1. Samuel George Stamas

1

Answered . Why would she think she had to send a letter to other tenants? The other attorney is right about not sending the neighbors anything. Honestly, this case sounds a little strange. Why would neighbors threaten to sue her over getting something in the mail once? I think there is more to this story than is contained in your question. If this is something that seriously needs to be addressed you can call my office for a consultation.

2. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . It's not a nuisance, but since the neighbors don't want the correspondence, she should stop. It is unlikely she'll be evicted because it will look like the landlord is retaliating for the habitability complaint, which is illegal.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now