Can a teenager leave her household if she has been hit multiple times by her biological mother and her step father?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tarboro, NC

I have been wanting to leave my house for sometime now. I don't feel I'm treated right and have tried moving in with my grandmother. But my mom and step father would not allow it and since I'm only 15 I have no choice but to stay. Recently I didn't make the best decision and I stuck out of my house and didn't return for a few hours the next morning. When I returned I was hit by my mom and repeatedly by my step father in the face, leaving a marking and a cut on his hand from my earring. Am I allowed to leave? What exactly are my options?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . when they hit you and leave marks you can tell the police or CPS or your school counselor, then perhaps you will be placed with your grandmother or foster care.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,734 answers this week

2,353 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,734 answers this week

2,353 attorneys answering