Can a teacher sue a parent for defamation of character?

Houston, TX |

Teacher falsely accused of sexual assault of a child. Teacher was reassigned to original position.

If a person has the funds to afford an attorney, or the will to take the task on without an attorney, YES, a teacher can sue a parent for defamation.

In fact, just about anyone can sue just about anyone. As a consequence the victimized defendant of potentially fraudulent and possibly misguided litigation may incur the costs of defending themselves against such suits.

I think the better question is either WILL a teacher sue, or SHOULD a teacher sue.

More details might help to provide more of a discussion. For example, under what circumstances was the accusation made? It's one thing to publish such accusations in a newspaper; it's another thing entirely to repeat the allegations on the witness stand.

If you are the teacher, contact an attorney to evaluate your potential case; if you are a parent, contact an attorney to assess the defensibility of your actions.

This answer is not a substitute for consulting with and retaining the services of an attorney for your legal needs. By providing this answer, I am not entering into an attorney client relationship with you.

Parent went directly to police to accused teacher. District remove teacher from duties and temporarily reassigned to administration role informing teacher that there was a Teacher never was approach by police or anyone, explanation was that there was nothing that prove accusation but parents' word. After sometime teacher (me) was reassigned to position.

Cont. there was a ... Sexual assault of a child accusation by a parent.

Sorry, for the mistakes. Parent went directly to police to accused teacher. District remove teacher from duties and temporarily reassigned to administration role informing teacher that there was a sexual assault of a child accusation by a parent. Teacher never was approach by police or anyone, explanation was that there was nothing that prove accusation but parents' word. After sometime teacher (me) was reassigned to position.

Child custody topics