Can a teacher deny my child access to the school nurse?

Clarksville, TN |

My child was denied access to the school nurse because the teacher didn't see him vomit.

A teacher can deny access when she has reason to believe that the child is making things up. More information is needed as to your child's history with this teacher, and why the teacher did not take him seriously. Depending on how old your child is, there should be plenty of witnesses to what happened.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Teachers have a great deal of latitude and discretion in managing their classroom students. Your child's teacher can deny them the privilege of leaving the classroom; however, that may be modified if you have verified a bona fide health condition. If your child has a health condition that requires access to a nurse or frequent restroom use you should provide that information to the school nurse or principal, that will facilitate your child's access in the future. Teachers make thousands of decisions every day for the many children they interact with, sometimes the get it wrong--looks like it here. Talk to the teacher. If you are not satisfied with the answer, talk to the principal. Before I was an attorney I was a school principal, I always told parents, "I don't believe everything your child tells me about you, please don't believe everything they tell you about me or the teachers."
Hope everything works out for you.
All the best!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

I love your quote!

Randy Jay Harvey

Randy Jay Harvey

Got me out of a few scrapes with parents over the years, and calmed the waters dealing with the teachers of my own now fully grown children.

Golnar Sargeant

Golnar Sargeant

I love it!