Can a teacher be fired for writing a graphic book about relationships?

A teacher received a letter from a school district stating it “had received concerns from members of the school district community regarding the publication of the book.” The letter added that an investigation found that the teacher had violated the district’s policies and procedures, according to the complaint. Do his dismissal violate the teacher's First Amendment rights? Publication of the book was not part of his official duties, can it be used to fire him?

Branford, CT -

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

This question raises a multiplicity of difficult and complex issues, all of which will turn on the fine distinctions and nuances of the specific facts. This is not a question that can be responsibly answered here in this forum. The teacher needs to reach out immediately to the the union and to legal counsel. Like most issues in the law, the 1st amendment is not absolute and its application in a specific context of public sector employment involving minors can vary widely. Reliance on skilled and experienced legal counsel is critical here.