Can a teacher be fired for writing a graphic book about relationships?

Branford, CT |

A teacher received a letter from a school district stating it “had received concerns from members of the school district community regarding the publication of the book.” The letter added that an investigation found that the teacher had violated the district’s policies and procedures, according to the complaint. Do his dismissal violate the teacher's First Amendment rights? Publication of the book was not part of his official duties, can it be used to fire him?

1. This question raises a multiplicity of difficult and complex issues, all of which will turn on the fine distinctions and nuances of the specific facts. This is not a question that can be responsibly answered here in this forum. The teacher needs to reach out immediately to the the union and to legal counsel. Like most issues in the law, the 1st amendment is not absolute and its application in a specific context of public sector employment involving minors can vary widely. Reliance on skilled and experienced legal counsel is critical here.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.