Can a synagogue(non-profit) qualify for expedited processing in hiring a religious worker for R-1 visa ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bellingham, WA

Does the filing of the petition 129 for R1 allow the worker to remain in the USA after the lapse of his student visa

Additional information

Must there be a signed employment contract prior to making the application

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Barbara A Marcouiller


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The application for change of status from student to R-1 needs to be received while the student status is still valid. Then you need to watch the timing after that.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more
  2. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The change of status petition must be properly received by the USCIS before your current status expire.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  3. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long you filed before your student visa lapsed, you can stay till the R1 is approved or denied by the CIS. Please keep in mind that you are considered out of status from the date the F1 lapsed if the R1 is later denied.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Premium processing would only be available if the synagogue has already been visited by USCIS, and not otherwise.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,340 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,340 answers this week

2,866 attorneys answering