Can a supervisor just ignore a sexual harassment claim?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Springfield, TN

I am in retail management for a nation wide chain and I recently reported an incident of an employee grabbing his crotch area at me after being asked to do something he viewed as "female work". My manager informed me that this person just had a weird sense of humor and left it at that. After about 3 weeks of me asking him to take care of it he tells me he "spoke" to him but did not mention if any corrective action was taken. He still continued to work us on the same shifts and there were no efforts made to talk to the other employee present or follow up with me about my claim.The employee is now gone from the company but not for this reason. Should I report this to a higher manager (district manager) although I really don't want to get my manager into trouble?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your manager was not required to report back to you about any corrective action that was taken. Nor was your employer required to terminate, transfer, or otherwise act against the employee you complained about. A sexual harassment complaint is not like a lawsuit where you have expectations of some tangible benefit being delivered to you. The s.h. complaint is a necessary predicate to a subsequent legal claim based on repeated and pervasive similar acts. The fact that this employee is now gone is a legally sufficient result here. You do not have a sound claim against your employer or supervisor based on the facts that you have summarized here.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Kevin Rindler Madison


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the problem employee is gone I would not do anything to make your manager look bad because it will just cause you trouble later. Let it be would be my advice.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,293 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,293 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering