Can a student loan garnishment be lifted if I am willing to pay the same amount per month voluntarily?

Minneapolis, MN |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

My husband's student loan has been taken over by a collection company known as DCS. They began garnishment in April. Despite how difficult it is, we are willing to continue to pay the amount that is being garnished every month, but we would like to do it voluntarily rather than have his wages withheld. They always say that your employer cannot "discriminate" as a result of garnishment, but let's face it - having your wages garnished doesn't exactly propel you up the ladder of success. So, my question, is it possible to get this back into a "voluntary" payment plan? If so, what advice do you have for us in making it happen? Who should we contact first? Thanks much.

You would have to request information from DCS. I think it is unlikely that they would approve, as the garnishment provides a certain flow of repayment.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt