Can a stop sign traffic violation issued by a Parks agency go on my credit report if I don't pay?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

The Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) is a “Joint Powers Agency” a local government agency has put up several stop signs around their parks and have been issuing citations through photo enforcement. I have always heard that if you get a traffic ticket that doesn't have a court on it, it is what they call a "snitch ticket" and there will not be any REAL penalties if you don't pay. So I didn't. They have now submitted me to a collections agency. According to the Federal Trade Commission, the only debts that can be collected from are personal, family, and household debts, including money you owe on a personal credit card account, an auto loan, a medical bill, and your mortgage. I don't see how this is a debt. Can a traffic violation from a parks agency affect my credit?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Yes, many times state or local agencies will end up affecting your credit if you do not pay on time.

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,198 answers this week

3,775 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,198 answers this week

3,775 attorneys answering