Can a stepparent be a legal guardian?

Annapolis, MD |

My fiance has full cusody of his 4 children. The birth mom abandoned them and was out of their lives for about 2 years. She then got visitation rights a few months ago. She is supposed to visit with them every other Saturday from 10 am - 4 pm but often cancels or shortens the visits. She is an alcoholic and prescription drug abuser in deep denial. She is supposed to pay a miniscule child support payment once a month but even with the garnishment it's not much because she only works part time. She does nothing for these kids. I have already become like a mother. If I could adopt the kids I would, but the birth mother would never go for it - to her, the kids are things she owns. Is there a way for me to become a legal guardian instead - once we marry? Do we need her permission?

1. Marriage alone would not make you the legal guardian of your now fiance's children. Permission as you put it might be achieved through a guardian petition. You should seek counsel.