Skip to main content

Can a stepmother be a part of litigation between non-custodial and custodial when in court?

Houston, TX |

Can stepmother aid in proving a more stable environment with non-custodial as well as speak about past experiences with custodial?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The stepmother is not a party to the action. The father can, and should, include her presence as part of HIS case the HE provides a better environment. She can be a witness too.

    Let me caution that over involvement of stepparents is often a detriment.

    Step mom is not a party and does not have rights.

  2. Step-parents (spouses) can normally sit in the courtroom during a trial where other witnesses cannot.

    Any person can testify in court on matters regarding personal knowledge. Any person can testify to what they heard, observed, smelled, etc.

    Fran Brochstein has been a licensed Texas attorney over 22 years. She is a Advanced Credentialed Mediator by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association. Fran enjoys educating people about Texas laws and mediation -- her motto is "knowledge is power". She has a full-time family law mediation practice in the Houston area. She is also trained n elder law mediation. If you need a consultation and mention that you saw this on - Fran will give you a discounted rate of $175/hour -- her usual hourly rate is $300/hour. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that Fran's reply to your question in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week on her personal cell phone.

  3. Any witness with knowledge of relevant facts can be subpoenaed or asked to testify.

    This does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant County, Texas practice area. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas.

  4. The parties (parents) need to hire lawyers. The lawyer will determine who should be called as a witness.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics