Can a step parent legally force a step child to call him or her mom or dad?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Catawissa, MO

My son and I reside in MO and his father and step mother reside in IL. My son has expressed to me that he does not like having to call his step mom "mom" but no matter how much I discuss the matter with our son's father he still is forced to call her "mom." Knowing good and well that forcing our son to call his wife "mom" would very likely build further resentment for the woman, what else can I do to get my ex-husband to understand? Shouldn't the choice be our son's?

1. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

Answered . There is no legal requirement with regard to what a child calls his/her step-parent. You may want to have your child meet with a counselor to talk about his issue with regard to what he calls his step-mother and attempt to come up with a strategy that will resolve the issue for him. I realize this answer is not what your were wanting to hear.