Skip to main content

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support if noncustodial parent is unemployed?

Vero Beach, FL |

Can financial attachment be established if step-parent is covering the step child with health insurance? Non-custodial parent is a homemaker, now having her second baby...driving a brand new car, going on vacations, taking pictures with a $500 camera but is refusing to pay child support based on minimum wage. Her husband is in the military. Child support enforcement is enforcing payment but haven't gotten one penny. They told her they will take her income tax, of course she files with her husband..she doesnt work so he can simply claim injured spouse and they still wont take money to support her child..Is there any way that the step-parent can be held accountable for payment, through financial attachment??

Attorney Answers 2


No, you cannot transfer the financial obligation to a non-parent.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful



Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics