Can a state tax lien be removed that shows paid/released on a credit report?

Asked about 2 years ago - Indianapolis, IN

The amount that was owed came from a adjusted tax return from 2008 and the payment was automatically taken from the 2011 income tax year. The tax payer was never aware of the adjusted change, due to tax payer moving to another address.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, a credit report isn't a legal document. To release a tax lien requires you to record paperwork from the taxing authorities. Hope this perspective helps!

  2. Daniel Lee O'Neil

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As Dorothy addressed: unfortunately, the credit report will be insufficient.

    There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. Further, everything we... more
  3. John P Fazzio III


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You can get a release of lien by calling the IRS hotline and asking for the lien department, then provide this paperwork to the credit agency and ask them to remove the derogatory history.

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,447 answers this week

2,553 attorneys answering