Can a state tax lien be removed that shows paid/released on a credit report?

Indianapolis, IN |

The amount that was owed came from a adjusted tax return from 2008 and the payment was automatically taken from the 2011 income tax year. The tax payer was never aware of the adjusted change, due to tax payer moving to another address.

Unfortunately, a credit report isn't a legal document. To release a tax lien requires you to record paperwork from the taxing authorities. Hope this perspective helps!

As Dorothy addressed: unfortunately, the credit report will be insufficient.

There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. Further, everything we both just wrote is publicly available on the internet and would be the same as if we were talking in a crowded restaurant. If you need legal assistance use Avvo to find a local attorney in your jurisdiction that you feel can best represent your interests as a zealous advocate. My experience is in corporate tax, white collar criminal defense, partnership tax, and tax controversy/litigation. If you're being audited by the IRS or state taxing authority, or you are taking an unusually risky tax position on a return, that is the kind of thing you should have experienced counsel on your side and we can set up an initial consultation. If you have a family law, debt collection, violent crime sort of issue then I do not handle that. Do not contact me for an initial consultation on non-tax matters.

You can get a release of lien by calling the IRS hotline and asking for the lien department, then provide this paperwork to the credit agency and ask them to remove the derogatory history.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law