Skip to main content

Can a state change your conviction from misdemeanor to fugitive felony charges if you violate probation and move out of state?

Kansas City, KS |

Several years ago I was convicted of misdemeanor charges and placed on probation. I violated by going out of state and never returning. However, I made my probation officer aware that I was relocating at that time. She never got back with me and I just continued to pay my fines, until they came to Florida to get me by changing my charges to felony charges. I made the officer aware that my charges were misdemeanor and as he read deeper in the report he noted I was right, but stated since he already had me he had to take me in. Anyway, kansas came and got me from Florida and I did 365 days in the county. I don't feel this was fair and my life has not been the same since. Is there anything I can do or anyone I can sue?

Attorney Answers 1


Who would you sue and why? You were convicted on something you admit.

Mark as helpful

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics