Can a Standing Order Regarding Children, Property and Conduct of Parties be filed in Travis county without a divorce filing?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Austin, TX

I haven't filed for divorce divorce yet but I want to keep my child from being taken out of the state of Texas. Can i file the Standing order by itself?

1. Jennifer Renee Cochran

Answered . The standing order is effective as soon as you file either a divorce petition OR a suit affecting the parent-child relationship (SAPCR). If you're not ready to call it quits on your marriage and file for divorce, then the SAPCR is the way to go if you want the court to intervene and keep your child within its jurisdiction. The SAPCR only deals with provisions relating to the child such as decision-making, visitation, child support, geographic restriction, etc. If you file divorce later, you can consolidate the SAPCR with the divorce.

2. Michael J Corbin

Answered . No. Orders like that are a part of a divorce filing - if you want such an order, you'll have to launch a divorce petition. Without a divorce filing, the court has no authority to order anyone to do anything.