Can a spouse be held liable for criminal restitution or a civil action if restitution is not paid?

Redmond, OR |

My husband plea dealed a criminal assault case and is responsible for medical bills $29K+ for the plaintiff and any other additional medical bills for the next 6 months with 5 years probation. As the spouse can I be held liable in a criminal or civil suit if he can't pay? He's been unemployed for over 2 years

1. You do not have criminal liability for the wrongs of your husband. This is his obligation. The only thing that would change my answer is if you were also charged in the case or the court also directly ordered you to pay.

I truly wish you the best. Please click the ‘thumbs up’ tab below if you find this answer helpful. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.