Can a sole proprietor or an LLC request cash donations for a service?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ypsilanti, MI

If I am a motivational coach can I hold a seminar and just ask for monetary donations?

1. Thomas R. Morris

7

Answered . You can have your audience pay what they choose, but I would not call it a donation since that implies that it's a deductible charitable donation.

2. John F. Brennan

6

Answered . In principal, all businesses ask for cash donations for their goods or services, as can you. Do not be confused, however, the contributions, made before or after the service is rendered, is revenue to you, and must be accounted for and taxes paid on.
    I would strongly suggest legal and accounting counsel given the nature of your question.

3. David B. Forest

5

Answered . I agree with the other anwers. Of course you can receive your compensation in whatever form you choose, but it is still revenue to you and/or the LLC. I believe the question you are asking is really a tax question, and you should consult witha tax advisor.