Can a single parent adopt?

Asked about 6 years ago - Spokane, WA

I am recently divorced and have residential custody of my 2 year old son. I really want more children and would like to know what my chances are of adopting. As a single mother, is adoption a possibility? If so, what are the special challenges?

1. Michele A. Zavos

Answered . You have asked a very general question that is not state specific, so I can give you an answer. Single individuals are not prevented from adopting a child, although I am not familiar with the laws in every state. The real challenge is to work with a public or private agency that will be supportive of how you want to build your family. Don't reinvent the wheel. Be sure to talk to someone, usually an attorney, who can point you to a public or private agency that works with single individuals. You can work with a private agency in any state, you just have to have a local social worker do your home study. You can also pursue a private adoption - one where you find the birth parents who want to place their child for adoption with you. It's best if you consult with a knowledgeable adoption attorney. Paying for an hour or two of attorney time will save you lots of time and money down the road. You can find someone in your area through the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys.