Can A sgt tell my husband i cant move to the state he is currently stationed in???is it llegal?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

my husband and i have been married for a month me and our 5 year old son where supposed to move from denver to tenessee but his sargent said he cant move us or he would be punished

1. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . That sounds like an unlawful order and not something "his sergeant" can order anyway.
    He should file a complaint with the Army Inspector General, AFTER he first brings it up with his First Sergeant and Commander. He should use the chain of command initially. As part of working his way up the chain he should ask for a written counseling statement as to the supposed reasons for this order.
    If he gets no response from the command, then it's time to go to the IG.
    He should also go to the Base legal assistance office. They have military and civilian lawyers there who will be able to assist him.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

1

Answered . Your husband has access to free legal counsel in our military (please thank him for his service). He should sit down with that counsel, found in the JAG office on his post, and have a talk.

Good luck to each of you!

3. Stephen Clark Harkess

3

Answered . That sort of instruction doesn't make a lot of sense. Your husband may want to talk to a local JAG officer to seek an explanation of the prohibition.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Mr. Harkess is correct. The military normally triads to keep couples that are in the military with small children intact. Your husband has free legal counsel with the JAG office on his base and he needs to use the JAG officer.