Can a sex offender ever adopt a child?

Asked about 6 years ago - Puyallup, WA

Can a man with a juvenile sex offender conviction EVER legally adopt? He is not required to register. It was a level 1 offense. He has not been in trouble with the law at all since this incident.

Or are background checks ALWAYS required? Will a court ever allow an adoption with this on a background check?

1. Avvo Staff Moderator

Answered . Thanks for using Avvo. I am an Avvo Staff Moderator. To read more about our moderation team, follow the link below. Our current question volume may increase the response times of our loyal Avvo lawyer-answerers. My goal is to give you some preliminary information and guidance regarding your legal situation while you wait for an attorney in your area to respond.

There are not laws that prevent a convicted sex offender from adopting, but adoptions are granted by the court and the judge overhearing the adoption has the power to approve or deny an adoption petition. I strongly recommend contacting a family law attorney in your area. Good luck.