Can a service manager refuse to honor my new car warranty if I kept a journal of oil changes rather than shop receipts?

Asked about 1 year ago - Durango, CO

_ the engine of my 2011 Jeep Compass went bad - 60000 miles of the 150000 warranty coverage - I did my own oil changing and kept a journal but no receipts - we did a viscosity test on the oil in the engine and it was okay...after all their compression tests and all, it really runs poorly (worse than when I brought it in)...I can not afford to put a new engine in and continue the payments........I even bought an extended warranty with this vehicle

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Warranties are driven by the language of the agreement. If you are not in compliance with that language, you will be out of luck when it comes to enforcement. You need an attorney who works with contract cases to review the terms of the warranty to give you the best guidance.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

Answered . Most likely yes they can refuse to honor the warranty. Most warranties require that their dealerships do the oil changes. By doing them yourself or having another place do the oil changes, it likely voided the warranty.

3. Scott Richard Kaufman

Answered . This will depend on your local laws, and what your warranty says. It's not an issue of what they can do but what is legal. I like Rick Wynkoop on these issues in CO. Give him a call and tell him I said hello.