Can a seller back out if the buyer cant close?

Pittsburgh, PA |

buyer was not able to close on time, the contract is expired, can the seller back out?

1. It depends, but contracts often provide for such a remedy. For example, a real estate agreement of sale might require a buyer to obtain financing or close within a certain time period, and give the seller the right to terminate the contract if the buyer does not perform. To answer your question definitively, an attorney would need more information about the facts of your situations, and probably to see the written agreement between the buyer and seller.

2. As Mr. Latta (whose family I know) says everything depends on the contract. I review agreements of sale every day. If you want to e-mail the document to me I will look at it and my paralegal will give you my quick answer. If it needs a long answer she will discuss fees.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.