Can a school refuse a a parent/teacher meeting?

Paris, KY |

i live in Kentucky. recently my son has had an issue with a teacher. i wanted a meeting with her to discuss this issue. i sent several emails and made calls. then 3 days later a meeting was set. i go into the meeting and learn the teacher would not attend the meeting. was told she was too sick to walk down the steps to the principals office. so i asked for another meeting. it has been at least 4 days since the one with the principal and now one is set in April. i was told today that the teacher would again not be attending the meeting. is this legal for them to deny me twice a meeting with the teacher?

my son is autistic and i wanted a meeting to discuss his work in class and to get a grade over turned.

1. Well, the first time the teacher was sick (or so she said), what was the reasoning you were given for not attending the April meeting? Is this a private or public school? What was the exact issue your son had with her? How old is your son? Is your son special needs?

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

2. If your son is autistic then he is likely on an individual educational program. The IEP team can be called together to address any issues your son is having in his program. His teacher is part of the team and would be asked to participate in the IEP team meeting. If that doesn't happen you have the right to file a complaint with the school, and if it is interfering with your son's IEP there are other steps you can take. You should consult an educational lawyer who deals with special education issues. She/he will be able to guide you on addressing the needs of your child with the school and how to raise issues of compliance with federal and state special education law.
    Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Child custody topics