Can a school question a child with an IEP without an parent

Dayton, OH |
Filed under: Education law

my daughter is being bully and she is a special need student the school did not do anything about the bullying until a fight

1. Why does your child have an IEP? I would think it would be more proper to always have a parent in the pressence when questioning a student, but that goes regardless of the fact that an IEP is involved. I think that would just heighten te situation.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

2. No. The school can question and talk to a child on an Iep the same as any other. An IEP is in effect to help modify education to meet your child's individual goals. With that being said if your child is charged with a crime or delinquency action then the IEP may help. I do not believe that questioning or talking to your child would permit a civil suit against the school.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Education law topics