Can a school make your child stay for after school detention when you don't want him to?

Asked about 5 years ago - Stanhope, NJ

my son was given afterschool detention and i think they punishment is overboard. I suggested another punishment but the school won't change their position.

He goes to a public school. My question is can they LEGALLY make your child stay not what is your personal feelings on the matter

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . You do not post if it is a public or private school.
    In either case, detention is not a severe or unusual punishment and I do not see why a school should
    make an exception for you and your child.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

2. Jason Y. Chan

Answered . Yes, a school can do that. It is not seen as excessive punishment.

Attorney Jason Chan
    77 Franklin Street, FL3
    Boston, MA 02110
    617-556-8220
    website: www.attorneychan.com
    blog: http://attorneychan.wordpress.com/
    twitter: http://twitter.com/AttorneyChan

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.