Can a school just send a student home that is not doing their work.

Asked over 2 years ago - Circleville, OH

my daugher is 19 years old a senior and on IEP she is not doing her work. I asked the school just to send her home if she is not willing to do her work. The school has done everything and so have we but with her age, Can't they just tell her do the work or go home? She is being disruptive to other students and doesnt seem to care. My daughter has been giving more then enough chances to get it together, as parents we are exhusted and the school is being to lenit on her. I feel like she needs to have consequences to her lack of concern. Make her leave the school, when she is wiling to come to school and do her work she can come back.

1. Todd Bruce Kotler

2

Answered . I can understand your frustration.

What the school may do in this situation is going to be governed by the IEP. While her age does present an issue, instances like these should be covered either in a behavioral plan and / or the transitional plan, as the ability to stay on task is a life skill.

In my humble opion "just" sending her home would be an abdication of the school's duties to her and you. It would reward the behavior deprive the child the right to FAPE.