Can a restraining order prevent someone from contacting my employer or other agencies with intent to cause me harm/trouble?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Littleton, CO

I met an individual 8 months ago & tried to break off contact 6 months ago. He then threatened to destroy my career; I went to the local police & they emailed him a "cease and desist" notice. Immediately after receiving the police email, he contacted my employer and professional licensing board with allegations of wrongdoing that caused me to be under investigation for 2 months before clearing my license. Over the last 6 months he has left multiple voice mail and text messages, threatening other types of (non physical) retaliatory action against me for refusing to speak to him. He has called friends, family members, and my employer, has threatened to file lawsuits against me and my employer. I need a way to stop his actions not just his phone calls/texts to me.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A restraining order will certainly prevent him from contacting you to make threats. Additionally, it sounds like what he is doing could be criminally prosecuted as harassment if you can convince the police or District Attorney to file charges.

    It is much more difficult to control his communications with third parties although it might be hoped that his enthusiasm for that sort of thing would wane if he is unable to contact you to talk about it. You could pursue civil suits for defamation and tortious interference with business relationships, but these actions can be complex and may simply end up giving this guy the attention he is seeking.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  2. J Aaron Atkinson


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . That is a terrible situation. One of your options is to pursue a civil protection order, which operates similarly to a restraining order. The process involves some filings with the court and, ultimately, a hearing with the court and the offending party. Oftentimes the police simply cannot devote enough resources to assist you unless there is a possibility of physical harm. You should contact someone with experience in lawsuits and litigation for advice concerning your specific situation to assist you in navigating through this process. Good luck.

    I am a Colorado-licensed lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer until we sign an attorney-client fee agreement. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,683 answers this week

3,133 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,683 answers this week

3,133 attorneys answering