Skip to main content

Can a registered sex offender be given non-custodial rights?

Austin, TX |

Can a guy who is not married to the mother of a 3 mth old, be given non-custodial rights to take the baby for visitation.

He was convicted under statute 62.102 (b) (2)

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Yes, it is possible for a registered sex offender to retain unsupervised visitation rights to a child. While there are laws that require notification of sex offender status, there is no blanket rule against visitation rights for sex offenders.

    A judge will consider the totality of the circumstances, presented through evidence and oral arguments, to make his or her decision on what kind of access the non-custodial parent should receive.

    If you wish to limit access to your infant child, you can also ask your attorney to petition the court for a standard visitation schedule for children under three years of age. It is common practice for courts to limit visitation to supervised visits only while the child is an infant/toddler, regardless whether the non-custodial parent is a sex offender. Through this kind of visitation schedule, you can request that the child remain in your home during all visitations.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics