Can a recorded phone conv. be used in a Family Law case without the other person knowing they were recorded?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mesa, AZ

I currently live in WI, my ex lives in AZ. He recorded our conversation without my knowledge of it being recorded. He transcribed the recording and put it into his response to my Petition for Modification of Child Custody as evidence against me. There is a lot of the conversation that took place that were not included in his transcribing of the recording. Is his recording of our conversation and his own transcribe of the recording legal and what can I do or what am I able to do?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

7

Best Answer

Answered . Attorney Hopkins provided you with an outstanding answer. Each state has different laws regarding recordings of conversations, in AZ you can do so, what you an do is ask for the full tape so that nothing is taken out of context. then transcribe it yourself or ask for a full copy of the transcription to ptotect yourself.

2. Edward C. Hopkins Jr.

Pro

Answered . If your ex was in Arizona when the phone conversation occurred, then your ex recorded and transcribed it legally. Your ex did not need your consent to make the recording.

You or your attorney could demand that your ex or your ex's attorney disclose the full audio recording so you may obtain a copy and have the entire recording transcribed. If your ex or your ex's attorney refuses to let you obtain a copy of the recording, then you or your attorney could file a motion asking the court to compel your ex to disclose a copy of the full recording.