Can a recanting witness overturn a 10-year old deferred adjudication?

Asked 7 months ago - Houston, TX

Deferred adjudication successfully completed 10-years ago. Since then, two (2) of the witnesses' documents have been found (a handwritten journal entry, and years later an affidavit that the witness intentionally fabricated evidence for the purpose of giving a false police report. )

Is it possible to take this new evidence to court to get the deferred adjudication withdrawn and then acquired or dismissed?

Also then case has already been successfully sealed under 411.081 Tex Gov Code. But I want to be exhonerated for actual innocence, thus overturn the DAdj.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Peyton Zimmerman Peebles III


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do not talk to the DA's office without first consulting with an experienced habeas attorney. You might have some powerful evidence for a writ, but it is not clear from the limited information you've posted. You need to do a full investigation in private before approaching the DA.

    *** The fact that you solicited advice over a public forum waives any attorney-client privilege thus far. In... more
  2. David Daniel White


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the above. Get an attorney on board with the mitigating evidence and see if they can get the DA's office to agree to allow for expunction of the charge.

    Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

  3. Mekisha Jane Walker

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think the only way you'd get this done is with the ADA on your side. So, it's possible they would agree if the evidence is super compelling....

    DISCLAIMER The answer provided above serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a... more
  4. Kristin V. Brady

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you should bring it up with the District Attorney's office to see if they would support an actual acquittal instead of a deferred adjudication and then you could potentially have any record of it expunged instead of just sealed. However, if the DA's office won't listen, you may have to file a motion to get their attention.

    This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,263 answers this week

2,721 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,263 answers this week

2,721 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary