Can a really really low bail amount indicate a weak case?

Tampa, FL |

got out on a 5,000 dollar bond for manslaughter. it took them a year and 2 months till they decided to press charges......

Keep in mind that I do have a pretty extensive record already....so if what you are saying is true, i think the bond would be higher. Also, you said they weigh probable cause....dont you think that the strength of the case and whatever probable cause they have are related? My girlfriend overdosed in my apartment. She refused treatment at the hospital after she saw me overdose. I dont understand how i can be held accountable when i was in no mindset (after overdosing) to think clearly at all. Also, she has been baker-acted 3 or 4 times, and i have never been. Also, at the time i was on probation already and never failed a drug test after being on community control and probation for 3 years. What would you say is the reason they decided to set my bail so low? These are serious accusations......i feel like they are fucking with me because i know im not responsible.

1. It could, but it more than likely means other things. You need to really immediately retain a criminal defense attorney. My firm offers free case consultations in these matters and is open on Saturdays. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

2. Bonds are assessed based upon the severity of the crime, prior convictions, and flight risk (ie. ties to the community). The amounts vary depending on the circumstances. The judge basis his/her decision upon the probable cause affidavit, or police report. The strength of the prosecution's case shouldn't have any bearing on the bond amount. It's usually just the discretion of the judge.

3. While it is possible, it is more than likely not. It is more likely based upon a number of other factors.

4. I agree that a $5000 bond is low for manslaughter. It's in your best interest to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area to review the facts of your case. Good luck.
    www.colleenglenn.com

5. Do yourself a favor and just prepare to defend yourself. You are asking for "odds." Let your lawyer prepare by investigation, discovery, motion practice, etc. and THEN and only then make your decision. To base your entire life on the amount of bond set is not and your "guesses" as to the "real meaning" of the amount does not comport with your best interests.

of course, you and i are not forming an attorney client relationship. Representation in Florida Courts and Federal courts nationwide. Argued at the United States Supreme Court,