Can a quit claim deed be signed by attorney in fact while other person is alive?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Clair, MI

my sister has presented a quit claim deed, signed as attorney in fact, on my fathers property, notorized in another state tx, registered in county of property, document was signed 8 months before he passed. she has taken everything, with no notice, no estate has been opened with probate. quit claim, county said they do not have to provide proof, to register quitclaim.

I dont believe, she has a legitimate DPA, how to get a copy of DPA ? Is the lawyer on documents, would he be able to answer my questions, I think she had it drawn up, but father wouldnt sign, Deed recording in Mich , required no documents, I know she made appt, with notary when he was in hospital in Detroit, previously months prior, he had discussed over email, what should be done, but I dont believe any formal documents were made. She carried a clip board, at hospital, to try to get something signed, when he was coherent for a few weeks, but afterwards, he suffered brain damage, and told my mother, she had nothing formal, I live in CA, sister in TX

1. John W. Drury

2

Answered . If the POA granted the authority to sign deeds or to otherwise convey real or personal property, the conveyance by your sister is valid. POA's can grant unlimited authority to persons unless the language of the POA somehow restricts the right to convey. You need an attorney to review not only the language of the POA but the circumstances surrounding the deed transfer. POA's expire upon the death of the party granting the POA.

2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

3

Answered . To set aside the deed you would need to have proof that the deed was beyond the power granted in the POA, or that the POA was invalid for some reason. If the POA was valid, the deed is valid. Technical requirements for a POA vary by state. You would need to get a copy of the POA and have an attorney review it. If the POA is valid on its face, you might be able to set it aside (and therefore the deed) on the basis that it was obtained fraudulently. Be prepared to spend some money on legal fees.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would simply add that, even if the POA form authorized the agent to sign real estate documents, I believe that under the limited facts presented, you may have a claim for breach of fiduciary duty, on the basis of self-dealing. This will obviously be hotly contested, so you need an attorney to assist you in trying to have this set aside. I would recommend that you contact John Brennan, who is an outstanding probate attorney, right in your neighborhood. His contact information can be found, here: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/48080-mi-john-bre...

James Frederick

4. Julie Aletta Paquette

1

Answered . You obviously have many, many questions regarding what is going on in your father's estate and what has been done. There is also much at risk for you. You definitely need to consult with an attorney to determine whether you may have any standing to try to fight your sister, and what it would be worth to you vs. the costs of fighting her. You will not be able to get satisfactory answers or develop a case strategy by making all these postings here.

Consult with a probate attorney! Feel free to contact me.

In answer to the above questions, no the attorney and notary do not have to answer your questions.

5. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

Answered . I am not a MI attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

A deed can be completed under power of attorney if the POA grants that power AND the transfer was made at the request of the grantor.

Thus, depending on the circumstances, you may attack the transfer on the basis that it is either beyond the scope of the POA or was not authorized by your father.

You may also attack the POA and transfer on other fronts that are recognized in probate court - such as your father was not competent at the time that the POA was given or your sister exercised undue influence over him so that the transfer was not the produce of a free and voluntary decision on his part.

You will need a probate attorney to help you in this.

6. Steven Arnold Heisler

Pro

Answered . You should be consulting with a local attorney in the area. They will have questions for you to give you the best advise in your case

Steven A Heisler
    800 466 0000
    www.HEISLER.org