Can a publicly traded company invest in a privately owned corporation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Can a public traded company invest in a privately owned company for equity?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Linscott Roberts Hanson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is no legal restriction on an investment in a non-public company by one that is publicly held. It happens frequently. Many "start up" owners have in mind to make their company attractive to a large, publicly traded company so they can get acquired. The hard part, of course is creating a company which has true value which will be attractive to an established, publicly traded company.

    Answering your question on AVVO, does not create a lawyer-client relationship between us. I am an Illinois lawyer... more
  2. Nina Yablok

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Short answer is yes.

    Longer answer is that each company may have internal guidelines about such investments; and depending on the size of the investment, there may be reporting requirements and standards of reasonableness to be met.

    You don't tug on Superman's cape; you don't spit into the wind; you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger;... more
  3. Robert V Cornish Jr.

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . It certainly can. However, the officers of the company have a fiduciary duty not to act in their own self-interest.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now