Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

Can a public high school discipline a student for asking another student at home on Facebook to show breasts through video chat?

and take of clothes? There is a boy who repeatedly asks a girl to show her breasts and take of her clothes and lots of uncomfortable messages. He also asks her to send nude pictures. There is no substantial disruption or interference in school. If the student complains to the school, can the school discipline the student?

Brooklyn, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Probably, especially if they both go to the same school. If the boy is doing this, why is the girl speaking to him over the computer?????

Benjamin J Lieberman

Benjamin J Lieberman

Short answer is yes. The girl should use some common sense and refrain from interacting with this boy. She should also tell her parents.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

Most school districts take the legal position that the school can act in situations like this if the affected individuals know each other because of school or school activities. If both students attend schools in the same district, the school will likely be upheld in discipline based on this kind of factual scenario.

Girl's parents need to involve the police.