Can a prosecutor call a former police officer that has been terminated for serious misconduct for a hearing or trial?

Asked over 1 year ago - Little Rock, AR

My public defender has informed me that the State's star witness is who is responsible for my probable cause, accident reconstruction, & tox report has been investigated and terminated for serious misconduct but that he expects her to be called still. How is this possible?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Seth Layton Bowman


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I see you are in Little Rock. If it's Officer Sims, I would really doubt prosecutor is going to go through with it. If there were other arresting officers, the prosecutor might.

    We are expressly not creating an attorney client privilege. While I am a criminal defense attorney, I am just... more
  2. Joshua Sachs

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Allegations of misconduct, termination, and even criminality, would not render the officer incompetent as to testify. Evidence of any misconduct by the officer, to the extent that it can be used at all, would go the credibility and weight of her testimony, not to its admissibility. I see tricky evidentiary questions at the trial of this case, as your attorney tries to get in as much evidence of the officer's problems as possible, and the prosecutor tries to keep it out. It should be an interesting trial.

  3. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The prosecutor can subpoena any witness to testify at trial, especially a fact witness like you describe. Your PD may or may not be able to cross-examine the officer about the facts you describe. It will be up to the judge to allow or restrict these type of questions on cross if objected to by the prosecutor.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,810 answers this week

2,448 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,810 answers this week

2,448 attorneys answering