Can a prosecuting person be considered a police informant?

Tampa, FL |

If Dave has filed charges against Phil for something, can Dave then (after filing the charges) be considered a police informant against Phil? It was my understanding that Dave could not be a police informant, as his view of information would be tainted by his own prosecution of Phil. I am checking my knowledge of this.

If Dave has filed charges against Phil...... WHY would Phil have anything to do with Dave thereafter, let alone divulge incriminating evidence to Dave??????

Phil was unaware that Dave had filed charges at the time of speaking to him.

I must admit, I am lost. If you would like to email me directly, I would be happy to piece some of this together for you.

Gene

I agree that your question is a little confusing. I can't imagine Phil wanting anything to do with Dave if he has convinced the state attorney to press charges. But if Phil wants to keep admitting things to Dave, then certainly Dave can still be a witness against Phil.

Phil did not know at the time of speaking to Dave that charges had been filed. Phil was unaware there was even a pending investigation. Phil thought it was a private conversation between him and Dave and had no reason to assume there was anything wrong. Dave did not inform him of the pending charges, the investigation, or anything else of the sort, nor did the police at the time of the recorded call in question.