Can a process server serve me a subpoena at my workplace?

By law, do security guards have to let the server on to my workplace premises and direct him/her to my location?

Yes, you can be served at your workplace. No, there is no obligation to give process servers any access to you while at work. Just keep in mind that after several diligent attempts to serve you, the plaintiff can substitute serve you by dropping the summons and complaint at your place of work and mailing you the documents. If that becomes impossible, they can get an order from the court to serve you by publication in a newspaper. In other words, you are not going to avoid being in a lawsuit by avoiding service. It often makes sense to simply make it easy to be served because if you lose, the costs being incurred to make the attempts to serve you will be costs assessed against you in a post trial judgment.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Service is proper in your work place . You are free to avoid service and the security is free to refuse access.