Can a process server enter a gated community to serve papers to a defendant without this being considered trespassing?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

If so, how would a process server serve papers if he/she can't get access to the community?

1. Brent Allan Rose

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . It wouldn't be trespassing, but the process server can't serve someone if that process server can't get to them.

Of course, if the person couldn't be served by the process server, the result would be that the plaintiff or petitioner would just serve by publication.

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, they can enter a gated community; no, it will not be trespassing, and trust me, they find many ways to gain access to places in order to serve people.

3. Paul Y. Lee

3

1

Answered . I am a California lawyer, but a process server can employ different methods to enter the gated community, such as waiting until someone causes the gate to open and then entering the community.

Once inside the gate, he/she can serve the defendant. If the defendant is not in the house, the process server may be able to leave the papers with another adult in the house.

If the defendant cannot be served after diligent attempts, the process server may be able to employ alternative service methods.

The above describes permissible methods of service in California. Florida may have similar or different methods of service that are permissible. Consult a Florida lawyer.