Can a probation officer prevent a marriage?

Cheyenne, WY |

I have never been involved in legal problems so I'm not sure what they can and can't do . My fiancée is a felon on probation for a total of 2 years with only 5 months completed . He recently told his probation officer about us and she completely freaked out . If there is nothing in his court papers restricting the relationship , can the probation officer make this judgement on her own ?

It seems like there is more to this than is being shared. I see situations in which both individuals are on probation/parole. Or if this puts her into contact with drugs or alcohol that she is supposed to avoid. Beyond that, I would not see this being an issue.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

A probation officer has a lot of power and use of discretion over a probationer. He needs to review carefully the written terms of his probation and the Court's sentencing order. I would suspect there is a restriction against association with convicted felons.

If this becomes a real issue, contact a criminal defense attorney to discuss this with the PO, and failing that, file a motion with the court.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..