Can a pro se litigant have a chance of winning a case in court when the defendant has hired a high profile attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Trenton, NJ

I am fighting for justice against a multi million dollar company who breached an oral contract
and after seven years of promises is even denying having known of me when I had been to their offices for meetings 13 times.
The promise that the CEO was going to sign a contract at the meeting was made by three key staffers in the CEO executive office.
I have had to move forward with a claim for the following pro-se for obvious reasons, but with correspondence, as well as, emails from this company, along with photos taken that would also prove I was there, on their request, 13 times can prove my case should it go to
trail.
My claim is for breach of implied contract, promissory estoppell, detrimental reliance, pain/suffering, loss of the creative concept presented, and out of pocket expenses.

1. James P. Frederick

11

Best Answer

Answered . I would never say never and anything is possible in court. But I would say that it really hurts your chances a LOT. There are so many things that could go wrong or you might have an opportunity to win, but not recognize it because you do not know what to look for. If it is worth it to fight this, it is probably worth hiring an attorney. I am sorry to be the bearer of discouraging news. But litigation is always complicated and yours sounds more complex than normal.

James Frederick

2. Raphael Samuel Moore

10

Answered . Courts will allow certain amount of leeway for unrepresented litigants, but in the end of the day, it is a complex system and having an attorney who knows their way gives a clear advantage that is hard to overcome, even if the facts are on your side.

3. Michael Charles Doland

8

Answered . It's possible, barely. Looking at your cause of actions, and not knowing your facts, pain and suffering in a contract actions won't survive, and neither will the protection of an idea not othewised protected by patent, trademark or copythight.

At American Author Damon Runyon observed, "the race is not always to the swift not the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets".

4. Salvatore Bonanno

Pro

7

Answered . It's an uphill climb! Particularly, when your adversary has a thorough understanding of the rules of evidence, and procedure. You may get some latitude from the court as a pro se, but you may not, as it is up to the judge. Either way, the better question is why don't you have a lawyer on your side? Is it because some lawyers have not seen enough strength in the facts and law in your case? If that's the case, then you have an even steeper climb as you have a difficult case to prove, let alone that it's against a seasoned "high profile" lawyer. If you haven't consulted with an attorney, please do so before you do anything further as a pro se, and perhaps jeopardize your claim irreparably.

Good luck, and do try to retain counsel. Who knows, a lawyer on your side may secure a settlement without without the risk of loss.

5. Gary A Kester

4

Answered . 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999(SHOULD I GO ON)999999999999999 of the time when a pro per (you) goes up against an attorney in Court you will lose. I cant tell you how often I have defended clients against a pro se litigant who think they just have the best case and then it blows apart like flour in a fan when you get into Court. Non-attorneys are held to the same standard as attorneys. Everyone in the world, even the judge would prefer that you retain counsel. The reason why is simple, your not a lawyer. If you have a case, I am sure that you will find an attorney to represent you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now