Can a private person in Florida sue a spammer on their own?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Consumer protection

I'm getting upwards of 20-30 unsolicited emails per day from the same spammers, and have for the last several months. I've found one of the potential spammers, an out of state company. Under Florida's anti-spam laws can I personally sue the company or do I have to hire a lawyer?

Although Florida has an anti-spam law, that law limits who has standing to sue. The state (through the attorney general) has authority to enforce the law. Beyond that, the statute creates a private right of action only for certain types of plaintiffs. Specifically, it appears that only service providers who are burdened by the spam can sue--- not private individuals who merely receive the spam. So, based on the facts as you present them, it does not appear that you could sue under the Florida anti-spam law.

Outside of the specific anti-spam statute, it is conceivable that you could come up with some other cause of action. Some plaintiffs have tried to fight spam by making a claim for common law trespass. This would be tough.

You can always proceed pro se, meaning you can represent yourself.

My response to this question is a response to a hypothetical situation based on limited facts. I am not your attorney; you are not my client and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. If you need a lawyer, you should contact one in your area. If you would like to talk with me about your case, you can call my office.

thank you

Consumer protection topics

Recommended articles about Consumer protection