Can a prison deny an inmate proper medical treatment

Pacific, MO |

my husband is in a mo. prison and is disabled and not only are they denying him proper medical treatment but they have performed surgery on his wrist two times and now he is unable to use his hand. They have denied him wrist braces and taken his cane and he has fallen down so mant times he said his knees look like he's been skating on them. He has had to go see a psychiatrist in the last few months and I have written the Governor several times and nothing is getting done. He has a BB in his head that is causing him severe pain down the back of his neck and they refuse to treat him for that as well.

Contact Stephen Ryals

God Bless you, and my husband and I thank you so very much. It is very much appreciated. Sincere Thanks Ruthy Patrick

Although inmates have far fewer rights, they nevertheless have basic rights under the U.S. Constitution. Specifically, inmates have the right to be free, under the Eighth Amendment, from inhuman conditions because those conditions constitute "cruel and unusual" punishment. Inmates have the right to complain about prison conditions and voice their concerns about the treatment they receive. An inmate in need of mental health care is entitled to receive treatment in a manner that is appropriate under the circumstances, meaning that the treatment must be adequate. Whether the treatment is adequate is question for the court. Speak to an attorney that specializes in civil rights.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Thank you very much for your response, it is very much appreciated. I have been looking for an attorney in the state of MO. to talk to about this but I am not very intelligent when it comes to things such as this. Again thank you very much for your help. May God Bless you and your loved ones. Sincerely, Ruthy Patrick

Slavik Steve Leydiker

Slavik Steve Leydiker

You're welcome. Good luck.