Can a prenup ever be beneficial in getting a marriage visa approved?

Asked over 1 year ago - White Plains, NY

Meaning, can it be used as proof that the beneficiary is not looking to abandon the US spouse in the future, and would not be getting monetary gain from the relationship?

My brother was told that the main hurdle in his case would be convincing the immigration officer that the marriage is being entered for love reasons only. If the he, as a beneficiary, is willing to sign a legal agreement stating that if he were to leave his US citizen spouse, she would get everything he has + alimony etc., could it be used as proof that he is marrying solely for love and no other gain?

Thank you.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Answered . I don't think that a single piece of paper such as a prenuptial contract will do much to convince USCIS of the bona fides of the marriage. If anything, I think it would do more harm than good,, for it could make the whole thing look like pre-planned and calculated..

2. Alice Antonovsky

5

Answered . A prenup would not work to benefit a marriage petition. In fact, I would not even advise in submitting a prenup with he petition. I suggest you schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney prior to sending anything out. Good Luck.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

2

Answered . It is questionable whether such an agreement would benefit your immigration case. I would advise to shop around and get different opinions from immigration lawyers. If you are convinced it could have even a marginal impact & wish to proceed, then I encourage you to contact a White Plains Divorce/Matrimonial lawyer to schedule a consultation.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.