Skip to main content

Can a Power of Attorney file for Bankruptcy In PA for someone who is incarcerated?

Carlisle, PA |

I am power of attorney for someone who is incarcerated, can I file bankruptcy for them

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The prisoner will have to sign the BK petition. Also, he will have to take both credit counseling classes online, and attend the hearing via phone. Talk to your attorney about the details.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


No. The debtor still has to sign all paperwork, complete the classes, and attend the hearing (whether in person or by phone - that's up to the court and trustee).

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Lawrence S. Rubin

Lawrence S. Rubin


This is not necessarily true. A bankruptcy can be filed by a "next friend" for a person who is incapacitated. Another attorney has written on this subject already.

Michael Anthony Cataldo

Michael Anthony Cataldo


I practice in Pa. Filed one within past couple of months with a POA-Case was permitted with Friend Of Court Petition and was just confirmed a few days ago


To use a poa to file bankruptcy would require the poa to specify that bankruptcy filing was one of the things authorized. But with an incarcerated person, a poa isn't necessary. The debtor can sign the documents him/herself and can testify by telephone. My experience is that it is better to wait until the person is released from custody to file unless there is some specific advantage of filing while incarcerated. Hope this perspective helps!

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer